Misappropriation of Girl Scout funds is strictly prohibited. River Valleys reserves the right to pursue collection efforts, remove a volunteer or member found to be misappropriating funds, and/or prosecute to the fullest extent allowable by law. River Valleys reserves the right to remove volunteers for non-compliance/no response to suspected misappropriation inquiries.
- Examples of misappropriation of Girl Scout funds include, but are not limited to:
- Using Girl Scout funds for personal use
- Girl Scout account funds spent without group approval (troop, service unit, etc.)
- Funds not benefitting the whole troop/group
- Non-Girl Scout related purchases
- Co-mingling Girl Scout funds with personal funds
- Girl Scouts River Valleys reserves the right to immediately suspend a volunteer if River Valleys has reason to suspect misappropriation of Girl Scout funds. Evidence of misappropriation will result in immediate removal of the volunteer responsible.
- Once the volunteer responsible is removed from their volunteer role, they must remove their name and authorization as a signer from all Girl Scout bank accounts within 10 business days.
- This generally involves both account signers going to the bank together.
- The individual is required to pay back misappropriated funds in full to River Valleys within 10 business days.
- After 10 business days, outstanding funds of any amount will be sent to a collections agency, and/or will be subject to any and all applicable legal action.
- Removal is final and binding; a removed volunteer is not eligible for re-appointment.
- All adults in the removed individual’s household are prohibited from managing Girl Scout funds (e.g., signer on a Girl Scout accounts, troop cookie manager, holding product program inventory, etc.)
- All girl members in the removed individual’s household will have limits on their participation in product sales and are restricted to troop booth sales only for the cookie sale.
- Actions, decisions, and records relating to misuse of funds and steps taken are confidential. Information pertaining to a case will be reviewed only by relevant department staff, the Volunteer Relations Committee, Executive Leadership, legal representation, and applicable authorities.