As a recruiter, you serve as a local Girl Scout champion that organizes within your community to engage with prospective families, provide coverage at recruitment events, and help register girls and adults for membership. Recruiters also mobilize volunteers to attend school Open Houses where they promote Girl Scouts and invite families to attend Sign-up Events.
This year is anything but typical. But Girl Scouts can be a consistent and positive force for good in girls’ lives. We’ll be approaching recruitment in new ways and we know our plans need to be flexible. Girl Scouts River Valleys could not do this work without you. You help open doors for girls across our council. Thank you for taking on this important role!
Your first step is to either attend the Virtual Recruitment Kick-off on June 11 or, in case you missed it, complete the Online Recruitment Training and Digital Recruiter Guide(coming soon). We will continue to include mini-training videos in the Recruiter Round-up newsletter, they will be available on the Recruitment Training page.
Your Year at a Glance
Here’s a general outline of key milestones and planning dates. We recognize there may be delays in planning due to access to schools or other facilities, and school open houses may look different this year. We will be communicating frequently this year as we all may need to pivot quickly.
May-July: Onboarding & Planning
- Attend the Virtual Recruitment Kick-off on June 11 or complete online training.
- Schedule a date and location for your Girl Scout Sign-up Event between September 9-25
- Talk to your volunteer support coordinator frequently as you confirm details.
- Promote your Girl Scout Sign-up Event to your community through social media and other tactics.
- Discuss the status of Open Houses with your volunteer support coordinator and communicate frequently as you confirm dates.
- Find volunteers who will help you promote, cover Open Houses and support your Sign-up Event.
- Order free recruitment materials through our Impressive Print Center. (see instructions for use)
August: Promote & Organize
- Make sure flyers are ready for distribution within schools the week before your Sign-up Event.
- Promote Spirit Week and encourage troops to participate in the theme days.
- Distribute Open House kits to volunteers as well as:
- Open House Volunteer Training Video – coming soon!
- Open House Training Guide – coming soon!
- Attend school Open Houses to promote your Girl Scout Sign-up Event!
- Complete Post-Event form after each Open House.
September: Sign-up Events & Spirit Week
- Remind troops in your service unit to participate in Spirit Week and invite non-Girl Scouts to attend a Sign-up Event.
- Host your Girl Scout Sign-up Event. Check back here for a list of helpful resources to support your Sign-up Event!
October: Reflect & Celebrate!
Connect with your volunteer support coordinator to reflect on fall, how many girls you reached, and celebrate all the successes along the way!
Other ResourcesRecruiter Round-Up
Read the Recruiter Round-Up e-newsletter to get up-to-date information during the recruitment season. Make sure to stay subscribed to this list, and let us know if you aren’t receiving it!
Each edition of Recruiter Round-Up will be added to the list below once it has been published.