Service units should plan events that will bring girls together to learn new skills, earn badges or awards, and have fun! This article is for event coordinators or other involved volunteers outlines how to plan and get approval for service unit events.Establish a Committee of Volunteers to Assist with an Event
Be sure your event date, time, and locations are open and accessible to all girls.
You’ll want to determine any necessary supplies and other event costs to develop a budget. If you need to earn funds for your event or if you plan to collect fees—see our Managing Service Unit Money article.
Our full Event Guide (see below) has a PDF budget worksheet, or you can use the Event Budget Excel Worksheet to help you create your event budget.
Be sure to reference our Health, Safety, and Using Safety-Wise article to ensure girl-to-adult ratios and safety activity checkpoints are followed.
If you would like a language interpreter present at your event, complete the American Sign Language Interpreter Request Form at least one week prior to the date the interpreter is needed.
Complete your Supplemental Insurance Request Form.
Consider renting one of our camps at Camp.GirlScoutsRV.org/Rentals for your service unit event.
We also have a list of pre-approved vendors where you can find horse stables, bus companies, field trips and community service opportunities that meet our safety and activity standards.
Additionally, you can reserve a number of materials and items from our council offices, free of charge by completing the Equipment Check-Out form.
PayAnywhere is a free credit card reader for smartphones that Girl Scouts River Valleys approves for service units to collect fees. Download the PayAnywhere for Events Handbook for instructions to set up a PayAnywhere account. Also, see our Service Unit Event Electronic Registration and Payment Policy.
Use our event guides to plan fun and safe service unit events.
|Event Guide||Related Badges & Awards||Grade(s)||Duration|
|Full Service Unit Event Guide|
Use this for detailed information on planning service unit events.
|Service Unit Family Event Guide|
This guide will help you plan an event for the families in your service unit.
|Service Unit Court of Awards Event Guide|
At the end of the year, service units can hold Bridging or Court of Awards ceremonies to celebrate girls—this guide will help you do it!
|Service Unit World Thinking Day Event Guide|
In this guide, you'll find ideas for celebrating World Thinking Day within your service unit.
|Cookie Rally Event Guide|
In this event guide, you'll find ideas for planning a cookie sale rallies.
|Kitchen Manual and Group Cooking Guidelines|
If your event involves cooking, follow this guide for information about cooking at Girl Scout facilities and guidelines for safe cooking practices.
|Brownie First Aid Badge Day|
This guide helps you plan an event where Brownies learn to be prepared when the unexpected happens.
Host an event that teaches Brownies what makes a good friend and why friends are important.
|Entertainment Technology Badge Day|
Use this guide to plan an event where Juniors discover the science behind the world of entertainment.
|Finding Common Ground Badge Day|
Help Cadettes learn about differences and uncover strategies for bringing people together.
|Home Scientist Badge Day|
Use this guide to plan an event for Brownies to bring chemistry to the kitchen.
|Junior First Aid Badge Day|
Help Juniors advance their first aid skills and find out how to come to the rescue when people are ill or injured.
|Playing the Past Badge Day|
Let girls design their costumes, experience life in a different time, and have some old-fashioned fun!
|Practice with Purpose Badge Day|
Inspire girls to make themselves into a great athlete by working hard at this event.
Plan a magical day of experiments, potions, and wands for Harry Potter fans and wishful wizards!
Summary of Resources
- Event Guides – Use our guides to plan fun and safe service unit events.
- Managing Service Unit Money – This article guides you through money earning and management.
- Event Budget Excel Worksheet – Use this to help create your event budget.
- Health, Safety, and Using Safety-Wise – Reference this article for girl-to-adult ratios, safety activity checkpoints, and insurance forms.
- Trip/Travel Planning and Progression – This article outlines the planning and approval needed for trips.
- Supplemental Insurance Request Form – Use this online form if you are coordinating an event in which non-members are attending or you are planning an activity that will last longer than two consecutive nights.
- American Sign Language Interpreter Request form – Complete this form at least one week prior to the date the interpreter is needed.
- Camp.GirlScoutsRV.org/Rentals – Learn about renting our camps for your service unit event.
- Activity Vendor Directory – Find horse stables, bus companies, and field trip, and community service opportunities that meet our safety and activity standards.
- Equipment Check-Out – Use this form to reserve items from our council offices free of charge.