For over a century, Girl Scouts have proudly worn distinctive uniforms that symbolize the high ideals for which Girl Scouting stands. Uniforms provide unity among Girl Scouts and a feeling of belonging to a worldwide sisterhood. Girl Scout Seniors wear a uniform in ceremonies, when officially representing Girl Scouts, and when they just want to share their Girl Scout pride. This article for Senior-level troop leaders explains key patches, pins, insignia, and their placement on the Senior uniform.
Girl Scout Seniors have the option of a khaki sash or vest (keep in mind that this uniform will be used for the rest of their girl membership years with Girl Scouts). Their higher-level badges and pins will move up with them and accumulate on this uniform. A white shirt and khaki pants/skirt are standard for formal events.
The Front of the Uniform
All official patches, pins, and insignia are placed on the front of the uniform. A girl might not earn all of these awards—it just depends on her length of time and participation in the program. The following are the only pins, patches, and awards that belong on the front of the Senior Girl Scout uniform.
Insignia and awards marked with an asterisks* can be added to girls uniform right away!
- *American Flag Patch – This patch identifies Girl Scouts living in the USA.
- *Girl Scout Council Identification Set – This set includes the Girl Scouts of USA strip and the River Valleys council ID strip.
- Troop Crest – This crest is a symbol for the troop’s goal, interest, or character. A crest is voted on by all troop members.
- *Troop Numerals – Upon joining Girl Scouts, girls will be assigned a troop number.
- *Membership Stars and Discs – These signify the completed years in any given program level. For every year completed, a star is placed on the uniform. These stars will move on to the next program level uniform as to continually represent the years the girl has been in Girl Scouts. A red colored disc rests behind the star to represent the Senior program grade level.
- 10 Year Award Pin – This pin is awarded to girls who attain 10 years of participation in Girl Scouting.
- Bridge to Senior Award – This award signifies that a girl has graduated from the Girl Scout Cadette level and is now a Girl Scout Senior.
- *Bridge to Girl Scout Cadette Award – Girls who earned the Bridge to Cadette Award can carry their award over to their Senior uniform.
- Brownie Wings – Girls who received their Brownie Wings can wear them on their uniform to signify that they were once a Brownie.
- Torch Awards – This award recognizes a girl who has acted as a leader in her community.
- Counselor in Training (CIT) I Award Pin – This patch signifies completion of a Girl Scouts River Valleys’ outdoor leadership course.
- Volunteer in Training (VIT) Award Pin – This patch signifies completion of a Girl Scouts River Valleys outdoor leadership course.
- My Promise, My Faith Pins – These pins signify girls who’ve completed steps to identify what their faith and Girl Scouting have in common, using the Girl Scout Law as a guide.
- Senior Community Service Bar – This bar signifies the difference a girl has made in her community by practicing the values of the Girl Scout Law.
- Senior Service to Girl Scouting Bar – This bar signifies that a girl has volunteered at least 20 hours to the Girl Scout organization.
- Girl Scout Senior Badges – These badges signify the completion of any official Senior skill-building and legacy badges.
- Girl Scout Cadette Badges – Girls who earned Cadette badges can carry their award over to their Senior uniform.
- *Senior Insignia Tab – This tab is used to hold the World Trefoil Pin and Membership Pin.
- *World Trefoil Pin – The World Trefoil Pin shows that you are part of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS).
- Bronze, Silver, or Gold Award Pins – These pins signify that a girl has earned her Bronze, Silver, and/or Gold Awards.
- Girl Scout Membership Pin – This pin signifies that a girl is a member of Girl Scouts.
- Membership Numeral Guard – These numerals show the total number of years (not necessarily continuous or consecutive) of registered membership.
- Journey Summit Award Pins – This pin signifies that a girl has completed three Senior Journeys. Girls who earned the Journey Summit Award Pin can carry their award over to their Ambassador uniform.
- Senior Journey Award Pins and Badges – These awards signify the Senior Journey activities a girl has completed.
- Senior Outdoor Journey Award Badges – These awards signify the Senior Outdoor Journey activities a girl has completed.
- Cadette Journey Award Badges – Girls who earned Cadette Journeys can carry their awards over to their Senior uniform.
- Cookie Sale Activity Pin – Girls who participate in the Cookie Program are eligible to earn the cookie pin by developing essential business skills. Each year the pin color changes. These pins move on to the next program level uniform as to continually represent the years a girl has participated in Cookie sales.
- Safety Award Pin – This pin signifies completion of a five-step process for staying safe, tailored to Girl Scout Seniors.
- Cadette Leadership in Action (LiA) Award – Girls who earned their LiA can carry the award over to their Senior uniform.
- Global Action Award – This award connects the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) sisterhood by helping girls work together to make a difference on an issue that affects girls and women all over the world.
- World Thinking Day Award – This award is earned by participating in activities and projects on World Thinking Day.
The Back of the Uniform
If girls can’t fit all the official awards and patches on the front of your uniform, they can place them on the back. However, the back of the uniform is meant for all unofficial badges and patches including cookie, camp, and fun patches.
Fun patches reflect girls’ participation in events, projects, or special personal interests.
Shop for Senior Uniforms and Uniform Items
Visit any of our Girl Scout shops to purchase badges, uniforms, recognitions, gifts, special packages, and more!
We have several shop locations scattered throughout our council area (see locations and hours). Our online store is open 24/7 and is fast, easy, secure, and orders typically ship within five business days.