The 2020 Cookie Program has ended. Check back in the fall for next year’s sale dates.
Placing an initial cookie order allows girls to have inventory in-hand for Cookie Go Day, so they can start selling right away. Troop initial orders are due January 17, 2020 at 7:00 pm.
How to Place Your Initial Order
Use the Cookie Calculator to help determine your initial order.
Note: Using the cookie calculator is a recommendation only. Your troop should adjust your initial order as you see fit.
- Connect with your troop to see what their goals are for this cookie season.
Log into Smart Cookies online and follow the steps below to complete your initial order.
Note: You can find this and additional step-by-step instructions for Smart Cookies by visiting our Smart Cookies Guide article.
- Log into Smart Cookies, go to the Orders tab, and select Troop Initial Order.
- Enter your quantities in PACKAGES by variety.
- Click Save.
- Select your delivery station and time.
- Click Save.
- Place the initial order on time.
- Order the recommended amount by using the Cookie Calculator or 85% of the troops total per-girl-average from last year, multiplied by the number of girls selling this year.
- Enter the number of girls selling (See the Getting Started section above) into Smart Cookies by the initial order deadline. If your troop doesn’t enter the number of girls selling, the default will be the number of girls registered for the troop.
Initial Order: Smart Cookies Step-by-Step
Placing an initial order ensures that your Girl Scouts have the cookies they need to get started on Cookie Go Day. Connect with your troop to see what their goals are for this cookie season. For additional help on calculating your troops initial order, check out the Cookie Calculator
Remember to place your initial order by the designated due date.
Note: The initial order is picked up in full cases. If you enter a partial case, it will be rounded into a full case.
How to Receive the Initial Order Reward
To earn the initial order reward, the troop must:
Initial Order Delivery
We call this first big delivery the initial order delivery and there are two types: mini drop and mega drop. You can find out if your service unit has a mini or mega drop from your service unit cookie manager, or you may review the Initial Order Delivery Assignments List available in January.
Mega drops are located mostly in the Twin Cities metro and other larger communities. Individual troops sign up for a location and time during the initial order process. Signup for delivery location is available in Smart Cookies starting December 9, 2020.
At the delivery, volunteers go through a drive-thru process to pick up their cookies. These are typically held in parking lots of businesses or warehouses.
If a troop hasn’t chosen a location and time, service unit cookie managers can choose one for them when confirming the service unit’s initial order
Mini drops are primarily located in smaller communities. At these deliveries, all the cookies for the service unit are delivered to one location at one time. Your service unit cookie manager will confirm the date, time, and location and share it with you.
Initial Order Delivery Checklist
Whichever type of delivery your troop is assigned to, the Troop Cookie Manager is responsible for:
- Arranging for pickup of the initial order. Reference the Cases Per Vehicle Chart to ensure you will have enough room in your vehicle.
- Printing the order confirmation to bring to the delivery location to confirm totals.
- Verifying the cookie totals by variety at both the delivery location and again before distributing to families.
- Contacting Girl Scouts River Valleys within 24 hours of initial order pickup about any miscounts or damages.
- Setting a day and time for families to pick up their inventory.
- Issuing receipts to families of total cookies picked up, by variety of cookie.
Initial Order Patch and Membership Credit
By placing an initial order, the girls selling are eligible to earn a special glitter Initial Order Patch and the troop will receive a $25 membership credit. In order to earn the patch and credit, the troop must:
- Place the initial order on time.
- Order at least the amount recommended by the Cookie Calculator. This is 85% of the troops total per girl average from last year, multiplied by the number of girls selling this year.
- Enter the number of girls selling into Smart Cookies by January 17th, 2020.
Note: If your troop doesn’t enter the number of girls selling, the default will be the number of girls registered for the troop.
Service Unit Cookie Manager Initial Order Responsibilities
Placing an initial order is the easiest way for troops to start off with the cookie program on solid footing, so please monitor Smart Cookies to ensure troops are placing initial orders. You are able to see which troops have not yet placed an initial order by clicking on Troops with no Initial Order found on your Smart Cookies dashboard under Action Items.
Initial orders by troops are due January 17 at 7:00 pm. At this time, troops will be locked out of initial orders in Smart Cookies. As a service unit cookie manager, you have until January 19 at 7:00 pm to assist troops with their initial orders.
As the deadline approaches, it will be critical to check that all troops have selected a delivery station by running the Troops With No Specified Delivery Station report, and following up with them when they would like to pick up their order.