Electing delegates and alternates for your service unit ensures that the voice of your service unit gets heard at the Annual Meeting. This article for service unit managers, and other involved volunteers, outlines tips for electing the right representative for your service unit.
All delegates must be:
- At least 14 years of age by the date the delegate term begins on October 1
- A current, registered Girl Scout River Valleys member
- Have a passion to make the world a better place for girls
- Have ideas to share on how Girl Scouts River Valleys would be more effective in serving girls and volunteers
- Want to ensure Girl Scouts River Valleys is serving and being a voice for all the girls and volunteers in our communities
- Facilitate the constructive exchange of ideas and viewpoints
- Have an interest in engaging in the strategic, long-term goals of Girl Scouts River Valleys on a governance level
- Support decisions made at member meetings and report information back to the delegate region constructively and positively
- Possess mature judgment, flexibility, and enthusiasm
- Practice welcoming and inclusive behavior toward people of all ages, races, religions, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, gender, educational, and economic backgrounds
- Follow all Girl Scouts of the USA and Girl ScoutsRiver Valleys policies, standards, and procedures
- Speak and act in a manner consistent with the Girl Scout mission, Promise, and Law
- Demonstrate effective communication skills
- Respect the democratic process
Find Your Number of Allowed Delegates
Check with your service unit manager for your allowed number of delegates/alternates. Delegates are based on a service units’ membership numbers from the previous year. Each service units is allowed one delegate and one alternate per 100 girls.
If you would like to have a volunteer in your service unit hold the delegate or alternate role, the service unit must hold an election–even if only to reelect a volunteer from the year prior–and complete the Delegate Submission Form by September 15.
Holding an Election in Your Service Unit
How your election takes place is up to your service unit, but you’ll want to elect someone from your area who has the qualities of a good candidate.
Complete the Delegate Submission Form
To make the election process official, the elected delegate and alternate must complete the Delegate Submission Form by September 15. It’s important to complete this form so that our council can maintain an accurate delegate count.
Summary of Resources