For over a century, Girl Scouts have proudly worn distinctive uniforms that symbolize the high ideals for which Girl Scouting stands. Uniforms provide unity among Girl Scouts and a feeling of belonging to a worldwide sisterhood. Girl Scout Cadettes wear a uniform in ceremonies, when officially representing Girl Scouts, and when they just want to share their Girl Scout pride. This article for Cadette-level troop leaders explains key patches, pins, insignia, and their placement on the Cadette uniform.
Girl Scout Cadettes have the option of a khaki sash or vest (keep in mind that this uniform will be used for the rest of their girl membership years with Girl Scouts). Their higher-level badges and pins will move up with them and accumulate on this uniform. A white shirt and khaki pants/skirt are standard for formal events.
The Front of the Uniform
All official patches, pins, and insignia are placed on the front of the uniform. A girl might not earn all of these awards—it just depends on her length of time and participation in the program. The following are the only pins, patches, and awards that belong on the front of the Cadette Girl Scout uniform.
Insignia and awards marked with an asterisks* can be added to girls’ uniforms right away!
- *American Flag Patch – This patch identifies Girl Scouts living in the USA.
- *Council Identification Set – This set includes the Girl Scouts of USA strip and the River Valleys council ID strip.
- Troop Crest – This crest is a symbol for the troop’s goal, interest, or character. A crest is voted on by all troop members.
- *Troop Numerals – Upon joining Girl Scouts, girls will be assigned a troop number.
- *Membership Stars and Discs – These signify the completed years in any given program level. For every year completed, a star is placed on the uniform. These stars will move on to the next program level uniform as to continually represent the years the girl has been in Girl Scouts. A white colored disk rests behind the star to represent the Cadette program grade level.
- *Bridge to Girl Scout Cadette Award – This award signifies that a girl has graduated from the Junior level and become a Cadette.
- Brownie Wings – Girls who received their Brownie Wings can wear them on their uniform to signify that they were once a Brownie.
- Silver Torch Award Pin – This pin recognizes a girl who has acted as a leader in her community.
- My Promise, My Faith Pins – These pins signify girls who’ve completed steps to identify what their faith and Girl Scouting have in common, using the Girl Scout Law as a guide.
- Cadette Program Aide Pin – This award signifies completion of the following: one Leadership in Action (LiA) award, one Girl Scouts River Valleys’ leadership training, and working directly with younger girls.
- Cadette Community Service Bar – Signifies the difference a girl has made in her community by practicing the values of the Girl Scout Law.
- Cadette Service to Girl Scouting Bar – This bar represents girls who have volunteered at least 20 hours for the Girl Scout organization.
- World Thinking Day Award – This award is earned by participating in activities and projects on World Thinking Day.
- Girl Scout Cadette Badges – These badges signify the completion of any official Cadette skill building and legacy badges.
- *Cadette Insignia Tab – This tab is used to hold the World Trefoil Pin and Membership Pin.
- *World Trefoil Pin – The World Trefoil Pin shows that you are part of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS).
- Girl Scout Silver or Bronze Award Pins – These pins signify that a girl has earned her Bronze or Silver Awards.
- *Girl Scout Membership Pin – This pin signifies that a girl is a member of Girl Scouts.
- *Membership Numeral Guard – These numerals show the total number of years (not necessarily continuous or consecutive) of registered membership.
- Journey Summit Award Pins – This pin signifies that a girl has completed three Cadette Journeys. Girls who earned the Journey Summit Award Pin can carry their award over to their Senior uniform.
- Cadette Outdoor Journey Award Badges – These awards signify the Cadette Outdoor Journey activities a girl has completed.
- Cadette Journey Award Badges – These awards signify the Cadette Journey activities a girl has completed.
- Cookie Sale Activity Pin – Girls who participate in the Cookie Program are eligible to earn the cookie pin by developing essential business skills. Each year the pin color changes. These pins move on to the next program level uniform as to continually represent the years the girl has participated in Cookie sales.
- Safety Award Pin – This pin signifies completion of a five-step process for staying safe, tailored to Girl Scout Cadettes.
- Global Action Award – This award connects the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) sisterhood by helping girls work together to make a difference on an issue that affects girls and women all over the world.
- Cadette Leadership in Action (LiA) Award – This award signifies that a girl has provided special mentorship to Girl Scout Brownies with their Journey Award.
The Back of the Uniform
If girls can’t fit all the official awards and patches on the front of your uniform, they can place them on the back. However, the back of the uniform is meant for all unofficial badges and patches including cookie, camp, and fun patches.
Fun patches reflect girls’ participation in events, projects, or special personal interests.
Shop for Cadette Uniforms and Uniform Items
Visit any of our Girl Scout shops to purchase badges, uniforms, recognitions, gifts, special packages, and more!
We have several shop locations scattered throughout our council area (see locations and hours). Our online store is open 24/7 and is fast, easy, secure, and orders typically ship within five business days.
Summary of Resources
- Cadette Planning Guide – Find downloadable activity plans to guide your Cadettes through badge earning.
- Printable Cadette Uniform Guide – Download a visual guide to the Cadette uniform.
- GirlScoutShop.com – Shop for Cadette uniforms online or find a local store near you.