- Starts: 6/11/23 at 1:00 PM
- Ends: 6/11/23 at 5:00 PM
- Location: Camp Lakamaga, Marine on St Croix, MN
Registration Closes: 05/29/2023 11:59 p.m. CST
Open to both new and those renewing: Small Craft Safety Training for lake canoeing is the current Safety Activity checkpoint requirement for volunteers to lead girls safely in a canoe activity on a lake. Learn the skills necessary to prevent, recognize, and respond to canoe emergencies, and gain the knowledge to assist a troop in planning and implementing a canoe outing. This certification covers flat water canoeing and is valid for a three-year period.
On-line portion: This training includes 2-4 hours of on-line training that needs to be completed prior to the in-person class. Information on how to access the on-line portion will be sent out two weeks prior.
Prerequisites for those new to the Training: This is a safety and rescue certification course, not a canoeing skills class. Participants must be experienced canoeists who are prepared to pass a prerequisite canoe skills test that will take place at Camp Lakamaga on May 21 and June 4, 4-6:30pm. You will have an opportunity to choose which date works for you.
You will need to show the following skills:
- Safely launch and control a canoe using the proper strokes while paddling forward and backward, turning, stopping and holding position.
- Solo Paddling, either alone in the canoe or with a non-paddling partner to help balance the canoe.
- When paddling forward and backward steering strokes, such as J-strokes or sweep strokes, must be used to maintain a straight-line course with few course corrections or ruddering.
Also, on the day of your Small Craft Safety course you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Float or tread water for 1 minute without a life jacket
- Swim any stroke for 25 yards without a life jacket
- Swim any stroke for 25 yards while wearing a life jacket
Renewal details: Those with a current certification but needing to renew do not need to take the pre-requisite pre-tests. Plan to arrive at Lakamaga on June 11 at 1:30.
Policies: Please read through our policies on cancellations, refunds, behavior, and more.
Your Questions: If you have questions, please contact us online, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by phone (800-845-0787).