End of Season Finance, Reflect & Celebrate with Your Troop, Last Chance for Reward Orders, Cookie Booth of the Week Winners, Cookie Spirit Award, Service Unit Reward Support.
In this Edition:
For Service Unit Cookie Managers:
You did it! In a year with so many changes and challenges, you helped Girl Scouts make it to the end of the Cookie Program with tree-mendous stretch goals reached and lessons learned. Thank you for all you did to help your Girl Scouts learn and practice their entrepreneurial skills, troubleshoot supply chain issues, and learn lessons that last a lifetime.
We’ll be sure to share the results with you as we continue to finalize sales numbers over the next few weeks. Watch for the end-of-season totals in a future edition of The Cookie Press. After this week, The Cookie Press will be updated every other Thursday. Watch for the next post on April 21.
End of Season Finances
The cookies have been transferred, the sales season is officially over, and now only three tasks remain for you:
- Complete the reward order
- Ensure the troop is set for the final ACH
- Distribute rewards
This is the time to ensure all money collected from families has been deposited into the troop bank account. If families used contactless options to turn in money, verify the money has been credited to the troop account. Refer to your Troop Balance Summary for the troop financials, including the final PGA, the final troop proceed total, and the balance due for cookies for the final ACH on May 4. To have the final ACH adjusted because of a family unpaid balance, troop cookie manager unpaid balance, stolen product/money or counterfeit money received, or troop unsold inventory, submit the Finance/Inventory Issue Form as soon as possible. The deadline to complete is April 8.
If your troop receives an NSF check or incurs bank fees due to high deposit activity, complete a Finance/ Inventory Issue Form by May 31.
Refer to the 6 Steps to Wrap Up the Cookie Program to ensure you’ve checked these tasks off your “to-do” list.
If your troop only participated in online sales only and/or is due a refund for troop proceeds earned, Girl Scouts River Valleys will process that refund to the troop bank account via an ACH on April 22. Be sure the troop bank account information has been entered in Smart Cookies.
Juliettes that are paid in full will show an overpayment in their Troop Balance Summary that equals the troop proceeds.
Keep copies of all deposit tickets and bank receipts until December 31, 2022.
Note: Troops will have the ability to add Girl Scout financial transactions in Smart Cookies until April 10.
Reflect & Celebrate with Your Troop
Even though this cookie season had some unexpected twists and turns, some things don’t change, like reflecting on what your Girl Scouts learned and making time to celebrate. Schedule an end-of-season wrap-up party with the Girl Scouts while the Cookie Program is still fresh in their minds. Talk about data that means something to them:
Example Discussion Topics:
- Sales numbers, the troop PGA, or the proceeds earned
- Which of the 5 skills did they use?
- Celebrate Girl Scouts who crushed their goals and overcame many challenges.
- Inquire about how they overcame challenges, and what went well this year. Why do they think they were so successful?
- Reflect on what they may want to do differently next year.
- Encourage Girl Scouts to make time to thank everyone in their “cookie crew” who helped them succeed.
What do your Girl Scouts want to do with their proceeds? The weather is warming up and summer vacations are on the horizon. It’s a great time to schedule a fun outing to celebrate their accomplishments. Maybe the troop wants to use some of their proceeds to make a difference in their community? Let the Girl Scouts work together to decide what they want to do. After all, girl-led is the way we roll!
Last Chance for Reward Orders
Last chance for reward orders—Don’t miss this important deadline! Tomorrow, Friday, April 8 is the deadline to submit Girl Scout and troop reward orders. Check out last week’s Cookie Press: Edition 16 for the full scoop on ordering rewards. If you need assistance, reach out to your Service Unit cookie manager or contact us as soon as possible.
After tomorrow, only your Service Unit cookie manager or Service Unit manager can make reward selections for you until Sunday, April 10. Contact them soon if you have any changes that need to be made for a Girl Scout or your troop.
Additional Hoodies for Adults in Your “Cookie Crew”
Troops that achieved a 435 PGA can order additional hoodies (at the troop’s expense) for the adults that assisted the troop in this year’s Cookie Program. Next week, the troop’s contacts in Smart Cookies will receive an email with a link to the hoodie order form due April 24. Please only submit one additional hoodie order form for the whole troop.
Payment will be made through an ACH from the troop bank account.
Note: The additional hoodie order will ship in June and will not arrive with the rest of the Girl Scout and troop rewards.
Cookie Booth of the Week 6 Winners
Week 6: Daisy/Brownie/Junior Booth of the Week
Week 6: Cadette/Senior/Ambassador Booth of the Week
Cookie Spirit Award Winners
Let’s hear a cheer for this week’s Cookie Spirit Award Winners:
- Charissa Kill: Troop 18758: “Charissa has been so much help to out troop. She is always willing to jump in whenever we need help with anything. She has gone above and beyond helping our troop with cookie sales and activities. She is great with all of the girls and takes the time to make all of them feel special. We are blessed to have her in our troop and want her to know how much we love her and appreciate everything she does ❤”
- Kari Svare: Troop 18814: “Kari is a brand new Daisy troop leader. The troop doubled in size after the initial order was due leaving very few cookies to start plus some early cookie booths. She has persevered and worked hard to get the troop’s orders filled despite the supply issues. Kari is continually demonstrating true Girl Scout spirit and making it a fun experience for our girls!”
Both Charissa and Kari will receive a $25 Target gift card and a big high five from Girl Scouts River Valleys! This is our final week for Cookie Spirit Awards. We are reaching out to all the nominees by email to share the kind words their fellow volunteers wrote about them as we celebrate April Volunteer Appreciation Month.
Service Unit Reward Support
Troops can no longer make reward choices in Smart Cookies after Friday, April 8. However, you can still help to ensure Girl Scouts receive the right rewards. Run the Incomplete Recognition Orders Report to view troops that have not completed their orders and reach out to them with a reminder of the deadline. If a troop misses the reward order deadline, Service Units can make edits to orders until April 10 at 11:59 pm (CST).
You can also view the actions needed on your Service Unit Dashboard in Smart Cookies under the Action Items section. Click on the link under each action item listed below and export the results to Excel to help you view the affected troops and the action they are missing:
- Troops with no Main Recognition Order: This shows you the troops that have not started an order.
- Incomplete Recognition Orders: Shows you a list of troops where an action is missing for a Girl Scout reward.
If reward choices are not made at applicable package levels for Girl Scout by April 10, their choice will default to the Cookie Credit. You do not need to commit or submit the reward order—We will do that for you.
View Missing Actions for Troops Who Earned Troop PGA Rewards
- From the Manage Recognition Orders screen, you can sort the column headings by the “Type of Plan” or “Type by Troop” to view qualifying PGA reward troops.
- Then click the pencil icon. If a red arrow appears on the next screen, it means the troop PGA rewards have not been entered.
- Click the arrow to proceed to the next screen. The troop PGA level will appear. If a red arrow appears, it means no data has been entered.
- You can click the down arrow and then enter the number of items needed:
- 235 PGA: 1 headband per girl selling
- 335 PGA: 1 pair of koala socks per girl selling
- 435 PGA: 1 hoodie per girl selling plus two for troop adults (1 adult for Juliettes)
For troops with the 435 PGA, you can select sizes in the Extras tab. You must also check the box next to any sizes you are ordering.
Note: To see the Senior and Ambassador troops that opted out of rewards, you can view the Troop Balance Summary report to see the opt-out under the troop proceed plan.