Read on for important details about wrapping up your cookie sale, including important cookie finance updates, completing a Finance/Inventory Issue Form, as well as how you can continue to spread the cookie joy through Cookies for a Cause.
In this edition:
For Service Unit Cookie Managers:
Important Cookie Finance Updates
Wrapping up the cookie season includes some very important finance deadlines. Here’s the latest update on those deadlines based on the extended stay-at-home orders:
The following deadlines will not change: The final ACH (automated clearing house; aka when the money is withdrawn from the troop account) is May 29. Finance Inventory Issue Forms are due by May 15.
Donation Receipts Due June 1
While many troops have completed their cookie donations and are ready for the final ACH, we recognize there are troops that still have donations in progress. If you have not completed your cookie donation yet, here is what happens next:
- We will email you on May 12 with the total amount of unsold packages reported that your troop plans to return.
- Donate cookies to an organization that aligns with the Girl Scout mission by June 1. Follow all social distancing and/or stay-at-home orders when making these donations.
- Complete a Cookie Return Donation Receipt and have it signed by the recipient. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a signed copy by June 1. Include your troop number and “Return Donation Receipt” as the subject line of your email. If your troop is donating to multiple locations, wait to send them all in one email once all donations are complete. Once received, we transfer the cookies out of your troop inventory. This transfer will relieve your troop of financial responsibility for the cookies. Allow two business days to complete the transfer.
If your troop needs to donate their unsold cookies and cannot make the donation and return the receipt by June 1, submit the Finance/Inventory Issue Form by May 15. Once this form is submitted to us, here’s what happens next:
- The final ACH is reduced for the cookies yet to be donated.
- After the final ACH, Smart Cookies will show that your troop still owes money for these cookies
- Once we receive the completed Cookie Return Donation Receipt, the cookies are removed from the troop in Smart Cookies. This also removes the financial responsibility for the cookies
Unsold cookies must be stored in dry, clean, cool, smoke and pest free areas. If you cannot pick up cookies from families, remind them of this rule to keep the cookies in excellent condition.
Finance/Inventory Issue Form Due May 15
If you anticipate that you will not be able to donate your troop’s cookies by June 1 and/or you have money owed for cookies from families, troop cookie manager, and/or a Juliette, submit a Finance/Inventory Issue Form by May 15. This allows us to adjust your final ACH.
If we receive the issue forms after May 15, please note that:
- Adjustments cannot happen for the final ACH
- Processing won’t occur until after the final ACH
- Any refunds owed back to troops will be processed via ACH at a separate time.
For other issues (returned checks, bank fees due to high deposit activity, counterfeit money, and credit card charge backs/refunds), the form is due by May 31.
Cookies for a Cause Campaign
The Cookies for a Cause campaign will end on May 15. We need your help! What can you do? Support this program either as an individual or troop with a purchase. Watch this video filled with inspiring images from troops as they show how Girl Scouts are a force for good! Use the Social Media Toolkit to share with your social networks and help us finish Girl Scout strong!
Cookie Credit Shipments
When you receive the Cookie Credit shipment, compare the amount received with the total listed on the Recognition Order Summary by Service Unit Report in Smart Cookies. All Cookie Credits are in $5 increments. A $10 CC will be two $5 Cookie Credits and a $25 CC will be five $5 Cookie Credits. In the example below, the service unit will receive a total of forty-three $5 Cookie Credits (forty-one $5 Cookie Credits plus two additional $5 Cookie Credits for the 10 Cookie Credit):
If you didn’t receive the correct number of credits, email email@example.com to report the error. Use the Recognition Order Summary by Troop Report in Smart Cookies to separate the credits by troop. You can distribute credits to troops before receiving the rest of the girl rewards if requested.
Reminder that due to COVID-19 all 2019 Cookie Credits are good through 2021 and 2020 Cookie Credits are good until 2022 or 2024 for council-approved extended troop trips and GSUSA Lifetime members.
Finance/Inventory Issue Form Due May 15
Remind troops to submit the Finance/Inventory Issue Form by May 15 to have the final ACH amount adjusted for unpaid cookies (family, troop cookie manager, Juliette’s) and troops who are unable to donate unsold cookies by June 1.
For other issues (returned checks, bank fees due to high deposit activity, counterfeit money, and credit card charge backs/refunds), troops can submit the form through May 31.