See below for an important message to our volunteers, to learn about how Girl Scouts River Valleys plans to serve the greater community through Cookies for a Cause, and for more updates about selling in light of COVID-19.
In this edition:
- Council-wide Service through Cookies for a Cause
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Handling Cookie Purchase Requests
For Service Unit Cookie Managers:
A Message to Volunteers: We Stand With You
We are committed to keeping girl and community safety at front and center of all we do. We all know that Girl Scouts is a force for good that can shine a light of hope and calm to others during this time. The Cookie Press will continue to be delivered to your inbox weekly, in hopes of keeping you connected and informed as we move through the coming weeks.
During this uncertain time in our country and around the world, Girl Scouts River Valleys stands with you to uphold all the core values of the Girl Scout Promise and Law. We promise to serve our communities through our new campaign, Cookies for a Cause, with the promise to help people at all times and to reinforce the values in the Girl Scout Law.
The Product Program team is here to support you however we can! Our staff is working remotely and available to answer your calls and questions. You can reach us at 800-845-0787 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Council-wide Service Through Cookies for a Cause
When our communities need us, Girl Scouts make the world a better place. Right now, many food shelves and community partners are struggling to meet growing community needs. Cookies for a Cause will help by providing people a way to purchase cookies and donate them to organizations on the front lines of the COVID-19 response—similar to those providing meals to children and families while schools are closed, medical personnel, and first responders.
We are still working out all the details, but here’s what we know:
- Next week, we’ll post a website where people can purchase packages of cookies that Girl Scouts River Valleys will donate to community heroes on their behalf.
- Troops may contribute by submitting photos of their troop in their uniforms and how they think Girl Scouts are a force for good in the world. Individual Girl Scouts may contribute by also submitting a photo and statement. Troops and individual Girl Scouts who contribute will have their photos featured on the website and earn the Cookies for a Cause patch.
- The cookies will be donated from council inventory. This is to ensure food safety and to follow all Girl Scouts of the USA guidelines as we understand them at this time.
- All troops participating in the Cookie Program will automatically earn troop proceeds from these sales. The amount allocated to troops will depend upon the total packages that are purchased and donated as of May 3, 2020.
- All remaining proceeds will be used for our financial assistance program, which provides grants to girls, troops, and volunteers for Girl Scout experiences. Did you know 1 in 5 Girl Scouts receives financial assistance at Girl Scouts River Valleys? As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact businesses and families, we expect that more financial assistance will be needed. Cookies for a Cause can help make that happen.
We hope to launch the Cookies for a Cause program publicly next week, but if we’ve learned anything in the last week, it’s to be flexible with ourselves and others as the situation changes daily. Stay tuned for more information. In the meantime, please submit your girl photos and stories to help us build an amazing program that exemplifies the Girl Scout mission in action!
Frequently Asked Questions
We have collected the most frequently-asked questions. During this time, we know more questions come up each day, and we are committed to updating our FAQs for each week’s cookie press.
Cookie Purchase Requests
The sale has moved to online only, but we are still hearing from people who are interested in buying cookies! At this time, we will be asking those requesting to purchase cookies for the address where they anticipate having their cookies shipped. We will then send their requests to the appropriate service unit cookie manager. Please forward these requests on to troops in your service unit who are continuing to sell so that they may provide a direct ship link for the customer to complete their purchase.
Updated Key Cookie Program Dates
The dates of the Cookie Program have been adjusted due to the sale extension. View the current Key Cookie Program Dates. We will continue to update this listing as new information becomes available.
Dream Team Venue Closed – Stay Tuned
The 2020 Dream Team Reception will not be held as originally planned on May 16. This is due to all spring events being cancelled at our venue, Bethel University. We will keep you posted if a new time and location becomes available.
Girl Scouting During Difficult Times
Throughout our history, Girl Scouts has played an important role in helping to keep our country safe. The work of today’s Girl Scouts is just as essential. Girl Scouts can continue to demonstrate leadership in the fight against coronavirus by teaching proper handwashing and other hygiene practices to their peers. They can learn about how coronavirus is spread and how to protect themselves and share this information with others. Girl Scouts can also be a force for good by confronting misinformation about Asian Americans, who have been the targets of racist attacks and discrimination.
Coronavirus Updates Web Page
Please continue to check Girl Scouts River Valleys’ Coronavirus Updates web page for the latest information from council surrounding COVID-19. This will be the main hub for any further news with regards to programming and policies
Forwarding Cookie Purchase Requests
The cookie finder has a new message for customers to go to their local council’s website to find cookies.
Starting sometime next week, will be hosting a link on our website for customers to enter their information, email, and address (for now, we are collecting information from customer calls or emails). From there, we will be contacting the service unit cookie manager for that customer’s delivery address. Then, the service unit cookie manager can coordinate with a troop to send a girl’s cookie link to the customer, so they can purchase cookies for direct ship.