Welcome to the first edition of The Cookie Press in 2020! Read on for information about Cookie Booths, the initial order, and more.
In this edition:
- Cookie Booth Lottery
- Cookie Booth Sign Up—First Come, First Served
- Troop Secured Cookie Booths
- Cookie Booth Inventory & Initial Order Deadline
- Unique Press Opportunity—Ice Fishing & Cookies!
For Service Unit Cookie Managers:
Cookie Booth Lottery
Troops can enter a lottery for the chance to be awarded a spot at some of our booth locations. Troops may be awarded a maximum of one booth during the lottery.
To participate in the lottery:
- Log in to Smart Cookies and check out the Cookie Booth schedules in your area that work for you and your troop.
- Between now and January 13 at 11 am, choose up to 10 time slots that your troop is interested in. We recommend that you pick a diverse array of options to increase your chances in the lottery.
- The Cookie Booth Lottery occurs on January 13 at 12 pm. Smart Cookies will randomly assign troops up to one booth. Troops will receive an email with the booth that they have been awarded. For troops who were not awarded any of their picks, Girl Scout River Valleys will reach out before the first First-Come, First-Served Round to assist you in finding a booth.
All booths that weren’t assigned during the Cookie Booth Lottery will open on January 16 at 7 pm for First-Come, First-Served Booth sign-up.
Cookie Booth Sign Up—First-Come, First-Served
Like the lottery, these are cookie booth locations that are arranged by Girl Scouts River Valleys. Troops should not contact a council-secured business. This includes asking them to host a cookie booth, asking questions about the booth, or for any other Girl Scout reason. Although Girl Scouts River Valleys requests certain areas for booth set-up, it is up to the business where the booth will be located.
Smart Cookies will only display Cookie Booths that have openings. We will continue to add more council-secured cookie booths throughout the sale as businesses get back to us with final details.
Troop-Secured Cookie Booths
Your troop always has the option of setting up a Troop-Secured Cookie Booth—and it’s super easy! To set up a Troop-Secured Booth:
- Check the Cookie Booth Locations-Do Not Contact List to make sure the business you’re considering isn’t listed.
- Get approval from the location manager.
- Enter the information into Smart Cookies. Make sure that the address matches the business’ Google address. This is to ensure that customers can find your booth through the Cookie Booth Finder during the cookie sale.
- Wait for notification that your Troop-Secured Booth is approved. Girl Scouts River Valleys will approve or deny the request within three business days beginning in mid-January.
Cookie Booth Inventory
Troop initial orders are due by January 17 at 7 pm. If you’re participating in Cookie Booths, include inventory for your early-season booths when planning your initial order. You will want to hold on to around 20% of your initial order to sell at Cookie Booths. Using troop inventory at booths makes dividing the sales between girls simple.
For help placing your initial order or scheduling Cookie Booths, check out the Initial Order article, or ask your service unit cookie manager or service unit manager.
Unique Press Opportunity: Ice Fishing & Cookies!
Is your troop planning on selling cookies at an ice fishing event or directly to ice fishers? If so, we’d like to hear from you! Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) will potentially be highlighting one troop’s story for national press. Interested troops should send a brief note to email@example.com with their event dates and details, program grade level, and contact information for GSUSA to reach out. Please note that there is no guarantee that GSUSA will respond to submissions.
Gluten-Free Cookie Initial Orders
If you would like more than two cases of the gluten-free Caramel Chocolate Chip cookies, please contact us to request an exception. Please include the following information:
- Troop number
- Your email address
- Number of cases of gluten-free cookies needed
- Reason for requesting an exception
We will reach out to you only if we cannot grant the exception. Remember that Caramel Chocolate Chip cookies cannot be exchanged at any Cookie Cupboard. Once ordered, they are the financial responsibility of the troop.
Cookie Rally Kits Shipping Next Week!
Keep an eye on your mailboxes. Cookie Rally Kits will be sent out beginning Monday, January 13.
Assisting Troops with Initial Orders
Troop initial orders are due January 17 at 7 pm. After that time, troops will be locked out of initial orders in Smart Cookies. You’ll have until January 19 at 7 pm to help troops edit their initial orders if necessary.
Service unit volunteers can see in Smart Cookies which troops have not placed an initial order. Just click on Troops with No Initial Order in your Smart Cookies dashboard under Action Items. You can also make sure all troops have selected a delivery location by running the Troops with No Specified Delivery Station report. Follow up with troops to see when they would like to pick up their orders.